sexta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2012

Cymbidium Garden

 In my backyard, I have a few plants in pots, as I have no ground to plant them in. So, to make the most of nature, I've put my cymbidiums close to the wall, beneath the shelter of the leaves of the palm and sat on bricks to keep them from flooding in the tropical storms. In the pic below you can see the cyms at the back, between the Bird-of-paradise plant and the palm.


 Here's a closer look at them on their bricks. I've made a mini-habitat, with the bigger cyms sheltering the baby cyms. There is also a maxilara and another terrestrial orchid which I'll put on another post.


 My dog, Mady, thought I was taking a photo of her!! Bless!!
 Here are the baby cyms. I have already posted pictures of them, but that was before I repotted them. Their roots were getting too big for their pots and weren't very stable. I suppose they are what it says on the packet?!! Not all is as expected here in Brazil. I'll have to wait until flowering to see if there are any surprises! :)

Another cym baby, this one has grown a lovely new pseubulb and on the other side of the older one, there's yet another shoot forming. This makes me wonder, as I don't know much about cymbidiums, whether these are the standard sized ones which are sold in supermarkets, or whether they are the minis. Any thoughts, anyone?

 This one is the slower in growth. It does have a tiny start of a growth right at the bottom, but hardly visible to photograph.

 This was the first baby cym I bought. I bought it last year. I didn't know what it was at first. The lady in the nursery couldn't tell me, either. But, it was only a fiver, so I decided to buy it anyway, and find out later what it is. Now I know. It's a cymbidium! Has healthy new growth, but also a slow grower in comparison with the other baby cyms.
 Now we get on to the big adult cyms. This one, below, I bought when the flowers were just about falling off. I bought it at a cheaper price in a supermarket, and since then it has grown a new pseubulb and seems very happy.
This next photo is of the poor cym which was left under the fruit shelves in the supermarket. No flowers, no water, just dry dust and dirty feet for company. Then I came along and picked it up. I though: "well, these orchids are usually 40 or 50 Reais when in bloom. This one is on offer at 7 reais, so, why not!?" I saved the poor thing's life. Now look at it!! It only had one sad looking pseubulb, and now its second pseubulb is growing well and strong. Let's hope it'll look as healthy as the other big cym before long.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário